Monday 8 December 2008

New Job P1

Yet again one of those things I can only talk about vaguelly. All I can say is that I'm working in an infants school, so no names and no specifics, which is a bit shit. I've been working there for a month now which is largely speaking why I haven't posted during that time. Naughty, naughty. Interestingly it was the Camp America experience that got me the job. So, what can I talk about without incriminating myself? Well, it's an Infants School and I'm working in the year two class as an 'learning support officer', which sounds far more trumped up than it is. I'm a classroom assistant, which basically means I'm a jack-of-all-trades. The school caters for main stream and a lot of SEN kids too. The class is quite diverse and the ability range is fairly broad.

A typical day consists of getting in at around quarter to nine and making a cup of coffee. The kids arrive at nine and mull around until the teacher does the register. Usually during this time I'm mulling around doing little tasks like getting things ready, preparing activities etc. At the moment we're up to our eyes in Christmas play rehearsals, so that chews up the morning until break time. Break time duty consists of standing on the yard and stamping out fires, not literally of course. Those pesky kids enjoy their metaphorical fires. After break we carry on with different activities/lessons. The teacher always has lessons planned yonks in advance so it's just a case of getting on with it. The different ability groups do variations on the same task. Lunch is at midday and consists of two sittings. In the afternoon we try and do group reading, finishing work or Busy Time, which includes practising writing/drawing etc. Then they all go home at half three.

More to follow.

No comments: